Friday, March 12, 2010

Happy New Year!!

What do you mean it’s February 2010???!!! When did that happen?!

First, hope everyone had peaceful and lovely holidays. Christmas in Sarteneja was very mellow, full of time with family and food. Some houses put up Christmas lights. A few had artificial trees. It had finally cooled down, to 70ish from 90s. Everyone mostly went around visiting each other, spending time together, and going to church. Didn’t really seem like gifts were exchanged. Kids got a few things but mostly practical, clothes, etc.

New Year’s Eve was a hoot – the smaller the child, the larger the fireworks she or he was setting off. Everyone went to church til midnight and then walked or rode around (on bikes) visiting. The kids liked to try to set off the fireworks right when you were passing by and thoroughly enjoyed watching the reactions of shock/momentary fright.

January started off with a bang – back in the USA, we sold our family business (the restaurant and motel) of 40 years relatively unexpectedly (we had put it on the market but though it might take years to get the offer we wanted; turns out, we got it in 4 months). So I went to California to take care of the paperwork with my mom. 47 signatures later, it was done. Sorry I didn’t get to see those of you in LA/Rancho, etc. but it was pretty much a drive-by visit. Had to get special dispensation from the Pope, er Peace Corps to go because we’re not allowed to leave the country til 3 months after Swearing In, which was Jan 22. But now I am free to roam! Am starting to plan some trips to Riviera Maya, Mexico and Antigua, Guatemala for Spanish immersion lessons (my Spanish is coming along but slowly, slowly. It’s too easy to revert to English, plus everyone here wants to practice their English). Also planning on going to Honduras and Panama later this year.

That being said, I find I truly truly prefer to be and stay in my village. I had sort of plateaued before the Holidays and felt like I wasn't really meeting new people/more of the Village but that all turned around over the Holidays. I guess everyone figured out I was staying and were curious so now I have people come up to me in the "Big Store" (which is the size of a gas station mini mart) and ask questions, introduce themselves. It's really great.

And things have really started to get busy here at my assignment – a coral reef conversation group is going to base their operations in Sarteneja which means jobs for some of the locals and a stream of volunteers staying at our Homestay sites. Perfect timing since we’re just starting up the Homestay Program. If anyone is interested in coral reef dives/research check out www.blueventures.org

I’ve also started “secondary” projects – things I’m most personally interested in or that I find are wanting in the Community. For example, I’ve been curious about the fact there are a lot of single, old men in the village. Unusual for a Latin based culture. Wondered how they were getting food, laundry done, etc. Spent the last few months just observing and noticed there is an informal safety net, mostly of neighbors, who at some point every month or 6 weeks realize they need to check on the person and bring by food, do their laundry, etc. Rotates among 4-5 other families so the individual is basically cared for and has what they need every day. But again, it’s informal and I know there were some days the men didn’t eat, but they never complain, never speak up …

Then, in asking around to see if I could get more information, stats, learn about social services in Belize, I came across the National Council on Ageing who happened to be conducting a survey of older adults so they can approach the Ministry of Health with data and try to get more programs/support in place. So I ended up conducting the Survey for Sarteneja, well, thanks to a fellow Peace Corps Volunteer who lives in the next town (2 hours away) and is fluent in Spanish. Hopefully the information will be put to good use but regardless, I know now about 10 more people in the village who would welcome a visit and can help me practice my Spanish.

I’m also working with some of the students who are in a special Volunteer program to paint a World Map on a wall here in the village. Well, the wall doesn’t exist yet but hopefully it will by March 20 and then we’ll do the project. I'm sure there will be a story to tell on that so stay tuned ...

And I spend tons of time every day with the/my co-owned puppy, Pavito (Little Turkey but I call him El Rey, “The King” because he’s so spoiled and acts like he’s King of the World). As you may recall, I was torn up about what to do with the 4 puppies I saw everyday on my way to work, with the family where the father lost his legs (to diabetes, last Christmas) and clearly had no means to support themselves, let along 4-5 dogs. But I didn’t want to create a dependency or been seen as a “rich” American. And I couldn’t justify helping/feeding the dogs when the family was clearly not getting food every day. I was able to use Christmas as an excuse – starting bringing the family some staples: rice, beans, flour, fruits. And dog food. Just let it evolve into always supplying the dog food. First they would invite me over for lunch, as their way to reciprocate. But I knew that was taking food out of their mouths so kept shying away from that, made plausible excuses. Then the mom, Maria, asked if she could do my laundry. Yeah, we came across a solution where I can give them money, it’s not charity, and they are really helping me (trust me, me doing laundry does not get the clothes clean). It’s still not enough, I just can’t generate enough laundry for them to have an income but it’s something. When there are other volunteers around (like the ones who will be coming with Blue Ventures), I’ll be suggesting they use her.

Things sort themselves out. But it's really really hard to come up with viable work, especially for the disabled - just as true in the US as here.

So two of the puppies found a home in the US. But one was hit by a car right before Christmas. So now it’s just Pavito and his mom, who the family has agreed we should spay. They understand and acknowledge that they can’t afford puppies and the reality is they want to do the right thing (spaying) but just can’t afford it.

Since this is an ongoing issue in the village (people wanting to do the right thing for their pets but not able due to distance/money), I’m organizing a vet clinic. Working with local Humane Societies (turns out, one good thing about so many foreigners in Belize, they set up Humane Societies) and vets to have a needs assessment/clinic where villagers can bring their pet, get meds, vaccinations, etc. Then we’ll figure out how to hold some spay and neuter clinics. Don’t worry, you’ll get to help – I’ll be sending out a request for donations soon :-) Amazing though how far the dollar goes here, $6 for a bag of food that lasts a dog nearly 6 weeks (so that’s just $1 a week). More on that coming soon ;-)

So, as I was saying , plenty going on in Sarteneja. Really enjoying taking my time to get to know people, how things are done (it’s all about who you know), the challenges (mostly religious and political affiliation based), and doing what I can/letting go of what I can’t.

Other things I’ve found interesting/entertaining:

Internet – yes, there is internet in the Village but I am pretty sure everyone is connected to the same line (and it may be a phone line) so you can imagine how non-speedy it is. And if anyone, at any of the 4 internet locations, gets on Facebook or downloands anything, the whole system comes down. Which is fine with me, I go to the seaside or ride my bike around (on “patrol” is the joke with my host family). The Internet also goes down when it is sunny or overcast or windy or airless. You get what I mean? LOL

Cable TV – there is cable TV in the Village but it also comes from a single source. Which I’m pretty sure is boot legged, either from Michigan (we seem to always get their nightly news) or Mexico. So we get an ever changing array of channels, some days TNT is on Channel 30, other days gone altogether, then comes back, but on Channel 4. It’s like a roulette wheel of TV viewing. It’s also funny when the messages come up that the bill hasn’t been paid and to call the number below … When my host mom sees that, she says “well I’m not going to pay them if they’re not going to pay their bill” but so far the Cable hasn’t gone out all together.

Of course, I didn’t come here for Internet or TV. Just watching how the weather changes during the day is entertainment enough – peachy, pink skies in the morning, a gentle breeze in the am, birds calling and roaring in the sky. Blazing hot sun in the afternoon, praying for rain or wind or taking a siesta while it cools down. Having some flour tortillas and beans for dinner (I could live on home made flour tortillas and beans) then watching my novella, “El Diablo” (which means most of what I’m learning in Spanish is good for dramatic exchanges, passionate embraces, or cursing others).

And so it goes. Never know what the day is going to hold which is just fine with me.

Hope your 2010 is going well! I so so so appreciate your emails, checking in, letting me know what is going on for you. Sorry if I don't reply in a timely manner but I do get them.

And mail is still welcomed. I have a new address:

Peace Corps Belize

MJP c/o Christen Eure, PCV

Orange Walk, General Delivery

Belize, Central America

(I don't get mail in my village so have to go to the nearest town to pick it up. My friend Christen offered to collect anything for me since it's tough for me to even get to Orange Walk so it will help to put her name on anything sent)

I'm well stocked but would appreciate it if you want to sent any staples for the destitute families: peanut butter, granola bars, canned goods. All are expensive here so super awesome if you send in a care package.

Think of you all often and fondly and hope this year brings you blessings and tranquility. If not, come to Sarteneja :-)

xoxo

Manissa

PS - photos of my Village:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=133555&id=640467317&l=de1577564d



No comments: