Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Phase 2 - Community Based Training

See photos at:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=102016&id=640467317&l=4965dba765

Getting ready to move to our first host family tomorrow. I will be in a Spanish speaking town, with electricity yea, about 2 hours inland and spitting distance to Guatemala. I will be taking the bus back to the Capital, Belmopan, twice a week - on Tuesdays for Spanish lessons and Fridays for further Health and Safety sessions with everyone. The other days will be spend getting to know the country, culture, people. We get to visit the Belize Zoo and Blue Hole. No, not that Blue Hole (the famous dive site) but another onland sunked cave site. I've heard the Belize zoo is quite something. Looking forward to collecting information for my school - I'm signed up with my friend Nanci who is an elemantary school teacher to exchange info, well, send info about Belize so she can share it with her kids. And will do the same for my friend who is doing homeschool. Let me know if anyone else wants to join the fun. One of the Peace Corps goals is to teach Americas about the country where we are placed so I get "credit" for doing that kind of thing.

Anyway, suffice it to say I'm in the "honeymoon" period of adapting to my new situation - it's all great and good and fun and wonderful. Glad to be getting out of the classroom and starting to get into the communities.

Oh, and we learned if we're being harrassed by guys to say "gaad noh likh oagli" ('god no like ugly' in Kriol). That just cracks me up ... But I'm pretty much taller and therefore bigger than most of the men here so far so no worries.

Take care! Love always - MJP

No comments: